Saturday, February 14, 2015

Pregnancy #2: 15 weeks

Disclaimer: I just found this post buried in my drafts. It's kind of funny to read about what my pregnant mind thinks about. Now, I have an incredible 19 month old Elsie-girl who is amazing in pretty much every way. I'm certain God knew she would be a precious addition to our family.


Looking back at my older posts of Ben, month-to-month, I am so glad I recorded what he was up to and how young he was in those pictures!! I have thousands of pictures of that kid so it's nice to have some sense of chronology in there.

Well, we're doing it all over again. I'm 15 weeks pregnant with kid #2 and so far so good. I told Aaron to come inside for a minute and just showed him the positive test, saying, "So, uh, you're gonna be a dad again." (I know, I'm so creative...) He was happy with the news, though he looked just as bewildered as I did, since we had thought we mastered the art of not getting pregnant for a while now.

My plan was to get all my postponed dental work done and then do a major detox cleanse before getting pregnant so I could take the drugs to manage tooth pain and cleanse the toxins out while I still could! The day after dentist visit #1, I find out I'm unexpectedly expecting, so my plans went down the drain!

Long story short, I had a month and a half long series of a tooth pulling, root canalling, useless pill popping, tear-infested nightmare. I am officially over going to the dentist. And if I ever do, I'm going to take a pregnancy test FIRST. 

Thankfully, God must have given this baby a little pep talk into being nice to me, because I really didn't suffer from pregnancy symptoms like I could have. Maybe a few weeks of feeling slightly nauseous and being tired, but that's about it. But when you're chasing around an 18 month old who just learned how to climb everything and has a passion for toilets (or any plumbing), sharpies, and butcher knives, being tired is just part of the fun. I still complained a bit, but mostly because I was losing my mind from the tooth pain and lack of food intake.

So far, this pregnancy has not been nearly as monumental as the first. For one thing, I already know what I'm getting myself into and I am too busy saving Ben from himself. Part of our birth control plan was psychological; I would remind myself of everything I disliked about pregnancy, birth, and newborns, just in case I caught any baby fever before I was ready. That's probably the worst part about this whole experience. Not trying to complain here, but we were really looking forward to getting pregnant on purpose...if ya know what I mean. No life altering surprises, just looking forward to taking a test, hoping that it's positive instead of well....wishing it wasn't. I'm finally over that hump, mentally, but it was a challenge. My midwife is amazing and told me it was a good idea to talk to people that can relate and won't make me feel bad for however I'm feeling. I mean, I'm in it for the long haul as far as kids go...there's no turning back at this point. And we were only a few months away from when I knew I wanted to try for another one. Thankfully, Aaron is lovely, and told me the same thing he said when I was struggling with those same emotions last time...that I had 9 months to get ready and by that time, I will be more than excited & ready to be a mom.

Aside from having to prepare myself mentally for what it's going to be like with another cooky child around these parts, things have been great! That dental fiasco actually made me lose about 6lbs so I am now at my wedding day weight in my 2nd trimester. Go figure! There's barely a bump, unless you count leftovers from Ben. Aaron is experiencing more from this pregnancy, too, since the first time I was working 2 day jobs, band practice late at night, and we weren't really seeing much of each other. Newlyweds: I urge you to wait at least ONE WHOLE YEAR before getting pregnant. Do it for me, please. Not because I don't love my amazing little dude, but because I love my husband and he totally got gypped with a crazy hormonal new bride and well...I'm still retaining some most of the crazy. Poor guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment